Tuesday, February 23, 2010

And the Winner Is.... our ties to the movies and celebrities.

The Academy Awards are coming up on March 7th. I can't say that I am all that excited. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy a good movie. Of the ten movies nomiated for best picture, I have seen four; Up, The Hurt Locker, Avatar and District 9. If I had to pick one of these four for best picture, I would be at a complete loss. They are all very different movies and I enjoyed each one of them for different reasons.

Up was very cute and whimsical. I enjoyed the story, felt it was very original and the characters were very memorable and delightful.

Avatar was incredible. I could see this movie again and again. The graphics were amazing. The storyline, which entertaining was very familiar; sorta like Dances with Wolves meets Fern Gully. But the novelty of this movie made up for the what the storyline lacked.

The Hurt Locker was gritty and real. Jeremy Renner as Sgt William James, did a wonderful job of pulling you into the story.

District 9 was probably my favorite. I enjoyed the story and the aliens were fascinating in their initial repulsiveness, which quickly turned to fascination, then finally admiration by the end of the movie. I purchased this movie and plan to watch it again. If you don't like alien movies, then you might not like this.

A Serious Man, classic Coen brothers. I watched this movie thinking that it seemed oddly familiar and was delightfully surprised to learn it was a Coen brothers production. This movie made me want to laugh and cry at the same time. I wasn't thrilled with the ending, however.

All in all, I am not that interested in who wins. I just like that we get so many good movies that come out toward the end of the year. Six of the ten movies nominated came out October and later. Only two, Up and The Hurt Locker, came out in the beginning of the year.

Kinda makes you think. The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese?

No comments: