Saturday, March 6, 2010

Multitasking

Do you think animals multitask? I know my cats don't. They stay focused on only one thing at a time and usually not even one thing. Usually they are asleep. But I can just imagine what they might do if they decided to multitask. Ivan would say to Willow,

'Now I'm going to go over here and check out this box, while I'm on the way over there, I'll jump up on her desk and scatter the papers all over the floor and hide the pen. Why don't you run into the other room and see if there's any food left in the dish. Then we'll pretty much be done for the day and we can just nap all afternoon. K?'

I've determined that I can do about nine things at once. Well, that's a bit of a stretch, because I do get help from some modern appliances, but let's see how far I can get with this.

1. I go let the dogs outside so they can run around and do their business.
2. I start the washing machine.
3. I go upstairs to gather clothes.
4. While I'm there I feed the birds.
6. I gather up all the trash.
7. I put the birds in the washing machine.
8. I put the laundry in the trash can.
9. I go outside and put the trash in the dog kennels.

Seriously, some days it's like that. I find myself rinsing off dishes to put in the dishwasher while gathering bits of trash from the counter. The next thing I know, I'm throwing away a spoon and putting an emply soup can in the dishwasher.

So  much for multitasking.

Perhaps I should just be more like my cats and stay focused on one thing at a time. Then I could just eat the birds and sleep in the sun all day.

No comments: